| The main objectives and outputs of the Moroccan project
November 2000, by
Development and implementation of policies for the sustainable management of wetlands and coastal areas.
- Developing the legal framework required to allow the acquisition, the protection and the sustainable management of public or private lands.
- Creating a Coastal Area Unit within the Department of Environment at ONEM to ensure the integrated development of the Moroccan coastal areas.
- Developing a national strategy for wetlands conservation in line with the conditions of the Ramsar Convention.
- Establishing local Agenda 21 programmes responding to the development planning needs of the areas concerned by the project.
Protection and removal of root causes of the loss of biodiversity of global significance in key demonstration sites.
- Instituting and strengthening an integrated approach for the management of selected wetlands and coastal sites in Morocco.
Contributing to "closing the Mediterranean circle" in terms of biodiversity protection and sustainable management of wetlands and coastal zones through networking and training.
- Designing and implementing a national training plan.
- Designing and implementing a public awareness-raising campaign targeting all stakeholder groups.
- Exchanging technical know-how and experience within the region.
version of this page