| Status and description of the MedWetCoast Site in Palestinian Authority
November 2000, by
WADI GAZA SITE STATUS
Site is a protected area by law
250 ha which includes mainly the wadi banks (bed and mouth before it reaches the sea)
WADI GAZA SITE THREATS
Pollution from domestic liquid and solid waste.
Disposal of construction debris in Wadi bed.
Encroaching urban development.
Depletion of resources from overgrazing, trees cutting , hunting.
Long-term dryness of Wadi through retention of water in catchments area.
Bridge construction in the Wadi mouth leading to lack of biotic exchange with the sea.
Planned seaport nearby the Wadi to be properly assessed.
SITES PROTECTION THROUGH MANAGEMENT PLANNING
- Ensure legal protection status of site
- Establish participatory management structures at local level
- Divert threats away from sensitive areas
- Regulation enforcement and wardening at sites level
- Intersectoral planning
- Establish pilot operations with local people
- Ensure compatibility with biodiversity conservation
version of this page